Wednesday, April 13, 2011

#8 - Running takes time

I don't know if there is a rule as to how long you're allowed to be a "new" runner, but I think I might be stretching it at 3 years. (has it really been that long? My goodness I feel old now!) The thing is, I like to run, but it seems like just as I finally start getting into shape for it and really running, either I lose motivation and quit, or something happens that forces me to quit. Sprained ankles (thanks to horses), shin splints (thanks to running), car accidents, and Winter (it gets a capital W here in North Dakota) have all been factors in my not quite following through with the whole running thing. The weather is warming up though, so it's time to hit the road! Slowly!

My goal for this challenge is a half-marathon. My eventual goal is a full marathon, but I think that might be farther in the future. I'm hoping that I'll be able to keep in shape this winter as I'll have access to the indoor track on base and won't be limited to ice-covered roads in sub-zero temperatures (I don't like running THAT much!), but I'm not sure if a full marathon is within my grasp quite yet. Who knows though, I might surprise myself!

Anyway, here is the other thing. I have hated wearing shoes for... well, for a while at least. I got a reputation as a "hippie" while I was in college because of my aversion to footwear and my refusal to use styrofoam dishes in the cafeteria. I eventually got over the styrofoam thing (it's hard to stick to principles like that when you're in a community with zero environmental awareness) but I still hate having anything on my feet, even in winter. Some research has turned up quite a bit of info on barefoot running, and I think I've found my love.

The biggest emphasis everyone in the barefoot community has for starting out is to TAKE IT SLOW. You have to build up strength in your feet and it's really easy to do too much too soon because it just feels so freakin' GOOD to be out there running with your feet free. I've gotten a lot of advice from the barefoot forum over at RunnersWorld.com and I think I'm going about this the safest way possible. I don't run more than a block at a time, taking breaks in between and I'm only running 3 days a week to give my muscles and tendons some time to recuperate in between. We'll see how things go, but so far so good. I've always had a lot of pain in my ankles when running, but so far, nothing. I feel awesome. My running buddy thinks the whole thing is silly, but is glad to get out and run all the same.





That's his "Is it time to go play now?" face. He's pretty much awesome, and the best running buddy I've ever had. He never complains about being tired, though I wish he'd put a little more pressure on me when I'm the one complaining! Either way, he's considerably chubbier than he was when this was taken (not long after we rescued him and our other dog, Abby) so this is going to be good for both of us.



And taking a nap on Dad is definitely the best thing to do after a run. Good boy, Shadow.

No comments:

Post a Comment